Tuesday, March 07, 2006

After the Flood - LISTEN AGAIN

EVEN IF YOU HAVE LISTENED TO THIS BEFORE YOU NEED TO LISTEN AGAIN.

Ira Glass, This American Life



Act One. Middle of Somewhere. Well, when Denise Moore finally made her way out of New Orleans -- she had been at the Convention Center -- she was surprised to see the coverage.
DENISE MOORE: I kept hearing the word "animals," and I didn't see animals. We were trapped like animals, but I saw the greatest humanity I'd ever seen from the most unlikely places.
IRA GLASS: Denise Moore eventually ended up at the convention center with her mom, her niece, and her niece's two year old daughter, but the day before the storm, because Denise's mom worked at Memorial Hospital in New Orleans, and because hospital employees were allowed to stay there during hurricanes, all of them went to the hospital. They were given a room to stay in, but later they were kicked out of the room for two white nurses.
DENISE MOORE: Yeah, so I got really mad.
IRA GLASS: Mm hm.
DENISE MOORE: You know, so I went home. And, um, so I went to, went to the house. I set up my twin bed in the hallway. The hallway's supposed to be, structurally, the best place to be if the building's gonna be moving around, if there's high winds. (more)

1 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard it the first time. It was good. pubic radio has had some of the best post Katrina coverage. There a was a very sad story of a family caught in the storm--the woman had to give birth either out in the street on in a flooded house. It was on either All This Considered or Morning Edition. That one was reallt disturbing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home